Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Pioneer Woman (and some knitting and cuteness, too)

I will now eternally owe my husband ummm . . . anything he ever wants. My wonderful Dan stood in line with me for five hours at the Mall of America to get my PW Cookbook signed (and the one I'm giving to my brother-in-law, too--I didn't leave him out).

We became bosom buddies with our neighbors in line by the end of the day--saving spots for bathroom breaks, food breaks, I'm going crazy breaks (I don't think we actually got a break from going crazy--just went further in, I guess).

Marlboro Man and sons

I got our books signed by Marlboro Man, too not long before he and the boys left for a bit to get some supper and to get out of the giant crowds of people. Notice the security guard in this shot? There were a bunch of them around and they were being followed by camera crews!

Why would a camera crew be interested in following Mall Cops around you ask? A new reality show on TLC called Mall Cop: something or other about Mall of America Security. We kept wondering why on earth camera crews along with security kept going around the crowd of people waiting to get there book signed and then one of the girls standing in line with me had an epiphany and recalled seeing a story on one of the local news shows about it. So funny! Dan said that he thought it would be a pretty boring show, but hey, if you get TLC and happen to see a this show about the Pioneer Woman keep a look out for Dan--he's the only one in a cowboy hat in the whole crowd, so you'll likely be able to pick him out. (I'm standing right next to him, but I'm short). We don't get satellite or cable at my house (too expensive when you live out in the boonies (or a mile from town)), so I won't see it at all.

Ree and me (my hair looked prettier earlier in the day--I promise)

Finally we reached PW and she so graciously (not that she wouldn't be) signed my two books. I also gave her a print of one of my cattle marker drawings--a little worse for wear after holding it for 5 hours, so if you happen to read this Ree, I can send you another one!

ETA:
Hmmm . . . I guess I was so far back in line, I didn't realize there were a few exciting moments with a bomb-sniffing dog. I am going to have to wait until PW's post on the MOA. It should be really fun!

It was a long day, but a good day. I came home surprised at how sore a person can get after just standing all day. It isn't quite as sore as I used to get when I was a waitress at the Red Rooster Cafe and surprisingly enough, even with all those people, it didn't smell nearly as bad either. (can I just say that I am so thankful for the smoking ban in MN--the combination of smoke, eggs, and bleach is just not a pleasant smell--it will forever make my stomach turn. I mean, I suppose it makes other people's stomachs turn as well, so I'm sure it isn't just me, or is it?--but enough of smells that we don't want to think about, I was doing a post about PW, wasn't I? and then I was going to show you some other cute pictures from the farm without going into any smell discussions)

First, I've been working on my Mother-in-Law's Christmas socks. They should be ready in time for Christmas I'm sure. I don't think she remembers that I am making her socks because I was knitting them right in front of her on Sunday and she had no clue that they were hers or maybe she does know, but didn't want to pressume?

The fur and whiskers are not a part of this sock, but rather a part of a curious kitten

The kittens really like the first sock. I'll have to see if they approve of the second one.

Speaking of kittens--they remain extremely cute.


They can mess up a house like nobodies business, get up on the table on knock things over (the chairs are no longer tucked under the table, by the way), and try to tear apart your knitting instructions, but then they go and sit in a little pile like this right in the afternoon sun and you just can't be mad at them. I mean--they're glowing . . . like angels?

And then there is this . . .


I mean, what are you going to do with this? Ahhh, Biff, you are one cute little steer. Don't remind me about what will be to come. I know it is coming--that is why we named our whethers things like lambchop when we were growing up, but for now, I am just going to pretend you are going to stay a little steer calf growing up on our little hills. At least I know you'll be happy here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to go to one of PW's book signings but she isn't going anywhere near where I live!*sigh*

Elisabeth said...

I've never been to a book signing in my life before this one. I suppose that in MN since we have the Twin Cities we do draw some people in that may not go to other spots--I don't know. I live about an hour to two hours out of the Cities depending on where you are trying to drive, so it does make a trip worth it once in a while to do something fun! (Or go in to pick up framing supplies for the gallery like I'm going to do on Monday).

Maybe you'll have to make a special trip to the ranch in OK?

jenny kaye said...

It is so awesome that you got to meet Ree, and get your book signed!! I have been reading up on her blog on all the places she's gone and where she's going...And it's good to catch up on things YOU'VE written, as well! I hope this little comment finds you well, and happy!!